Why is pylaucher in Python 3.3 being installed in Windows folder?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 11:51:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Piotr Dobrogost
<pd at google-groups-2012.dobrogost.net> wrote:
> Now, the question is why not put pylauncher together with python.exe
> now, when 3.3 has an option to add Python's folder to the PATH? In
> case there are more than one Python installed this would mean changing
> pylauncher when changing active Python (via PATH modification). Maybe
> that's undesired? If so then installing to Program Files and adding
> its folder to PATH the same way Python's folder is added would be much
> better than installing into Windows folder.

It shouldn't go in the Python folder.  There can be more than one
active Python installation, but there should really be only one active
pylauncher installation.  They should also be kept separate for
uninstallation.  So the launcher should have its own separate Program
Files folder.

I don't see why it's so important that the location be on the path in
the first place, though.  As I understand it this tool is primarily
intended to support the .py and .pyw file associations, and those are
best looked up in the registry, not on the path.  The only reason I
can see for having it on the path is for when you want to explicitly
invoke it on the command line, and for that we can either add the
Program Files location to the path or just let the user deal with
setting the path, as many Windows programs do.

> I raised this issue at http://bugs.python.org/issue16131

Unfortunately, with Python 3.3 already released, I suspect that it's
probably too late to change this.