Slicing iterables in sub-generators without loosing elements

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Oct 2 20:57:20 EDT 2012

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 03:58:02 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Dihedral might be a bot and might not. I've come to the conclusion that
> it's not worth trying to find out, given that a good bot can outdo a lot
> of humans in useful conversation.

Oh, I'm convinced that it's a bot.

The fact that Dihedral never responds to conversations about him/it is a
give away: nearly all people are far to egotistical to let accusations of
bot-hood go unchallenged. And even though its responses are grammatically
correct, they often are semantically meaningless. Even the best AIs
(Evie, CleverBot, Alice) don't come close to passing the Turing test. It
helps that Dihedral only talks about computer programming, but even so,
it has well and truly failed my personal Turing test.

Mind you, some human beings fail the Turing test too:

http://northernplanets.blogspot.com.au/2006/06/failing-turing-test.html

Of course, Dihedral's creator wanted to really confound us, the
occasional human response would probably muddy the waters sufficiently.

--
Steven