terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CABRTException'

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 2 05:45:54 EDT 2012

I've noticed a strange thing with python lately:

Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Aug 21 2009, 12:23:57)
>>> def f(): print x
>>> f()
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CABRTException'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in f
NameError: global name 'x' is not defined

Clearly there is a NameError because x is not defined, but what the
hell is the "terminate ..... 'CABRTException'" business?

I guess it has to do with abrt but abrt is not running on my system at
all. Also, if I run python2.7 with the above code I don't get the
CABRTException stuff. What is really strange is that I have all sorts
of recent files in /var/cache/abrt/pyhook-* indicating that somehow
abrt is doing things even though it is not running, for instance
chkconfig --list | grep abrt shows it off in all run levels.

What's going on?

Cheers,
Daniel