Coexistence of Python 2.x and 3.x on same OS

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 1 12:02:18 EDT 2012

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:14:17 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:

> Has there been any official software that allows both the Python 2.x and
> 3.x releases to coexist on the same OS so that the end-user can easily
> switch between them when invoking Python scripts after each has been
> installed to their own directories/folders ?
>
> I know of some unoffical solutions, but they require lots of tweaks.
> Given the vagaries of the different OSs on which Python can run I am
> hoping for some offical solution which will work on any of the most
> popular OSs ( Windows, Linux, Mac ).
>
> The situation is so confusing on Windows, where the file associations,
> registry entries, and other internal software which allows a given
> Python release to work properly when invoking Python is so complicated,
> that I have given up on trying to install more than one Python release
> and finding a relaible, foolproof way of switching between them. So
> although I would like to use the latest 3.x series on Windows I have
> decide to stick with the latest 2.x series instead because much software
> using Python does not support 3.x yet.

on my fedora system it was a simple matter of:-
#> yum install python3

to use python 3 i specify it in my shebang line

#!/usr/bun/env python3

Simple

Not sure about Windoze though (Although from memory the install asks
where to install so should not be a major issue)

--
Immortality consists largely of boredom.
		-- Zefrem Cochrane, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8