re.search when used within an if/else fails

Kevin T kevinintx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 14:39:48 EST 2012

I agree. Being relatively new to python, i was not sure of quirks so i posted the original code.

I did find the real issue, as I found another loop that was not being executed properly.

It turns out that if the indent started with spaces and ended with tabs, neither eclipse or command line execution would complain.  where as if the indent begins with tabs and has spaces in the middle the tools will complain of indentation issues.

i have found that the vi plugin for python is the culprit here.  when the plugin does block indentation, the result is indents that begin with spaces.  if i disable the vi plugin and use the regular eclipse editor these issues go away.

with other languages i always expand tabs to spaces.  the vi plugin does do this properly.  if i change all indents to be spaces only will python behave?  i inherited a good deal of the code that i am using, which is tab based.

thanks kevin