Migrate from Access 2010 / VBA

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:33:56 EST 2012

On 11/27/2012 05:06 PM, David Bolen wrote:
> I went through a very similar transition a few years ago from
> standalone Access databases (with GUI forms, queries and reports, as
> well as replication) to a pure web application with full reporting
> (albeit centrally designed and not a report designer for users).
>
> I suppose my best overall suggestion is to migrate the data first and
> independently of any other activities.
> <snip>
> Having done this, you are then free to start implementing, for
> example, a web based application to start taking over functionality.

Very informative post, David.  This is the only practical way forward,
and had I not been away from the field so long (been a couple of years
since I was in such a position of doing this professionally), I would
have remembered this!

MS Access is a very powerful tool; it just has a lousy default database
engine.  ODBC isn't a perfect interface, but Access does speak it, and
so does a real DBM like PostgreSQL.

There are a number of tools out there for converting an access database
to SQL schema (if you don't have access to the schema).  I used it on a
commercial program once to check on their database parameters (shudder
using mdb in a production program!), and actually had a script to sync
it to read from it via ODBC and push it to a MySQL database.

All this reminds me of a project I wanted to do, but hit a road block.
My problem was I had a proprietary binary app, with an MDB data file (in
the program directory no less). I'd like to share it across users,
without worrying about corrupting the database, or even have a web front
end.  If I could set it up as David suggests with some kind of live
mirroring, and so that the program didn't know it was a database server
it was talking to, that would be good.  But I had no control over the
ODBC parameters (they were hard coded in the program).  Would have loved
to have separated out the access database part from the rest of the
program though.  I could then graft on a web front end.

thanks again for the post, David.