Managing multiple packages

Evan Driscoll driscoll at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 26 20:58:22 EST 2012

On 11/22/2012 06:22 PM, Thomas Bach wrote:
> I am using virtual environments and do a
>
> python setup.py develop
>
> on each package. This just creates a symbolic link to the package and
> all edits show up immediately.

That's awesome; I didn't know about the 'develop' command. Thanks!

Is that just a setuptools thing, or can you do it with distutils too? I
didn't see anything too promising so I'm not so hopeful, but I figured
I'd ask anyway. I'm also pretty confused about the
distutils/setuptools/distribute/distutils2 landscape and what the
differences are (at least between the first 3) and what their
relationships with standard Python are.

(I'd prefer to use distutils because (1) it ships with Python as opposed
to being something extra to install (2) setuptools annoys me being the
only think I can remember that, when you tell it to install to a prefix
that doesn't exist, says "you want me to MAKE DIRECTORIES?! what are
you, some kind of slave driver?!". Admittedly that second reason is not
so rational and very occasionally putting up with that in exchange for
development mode is plenty worth it, but being able to shun setuptools
would make me feel good. :-))

Evan