How to pass class instance to a method?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:51:16 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:
> In a dynamically-typed language such as Python, the set of acceptable
> types for an argument is determined by the operations which the function
> performs on it. This is in direct contrast to a statically-typed language,
> where the set of acceptable operations on an argument is determined by the
> type of the argument.

Not how I would put it.  In a statically typed language, types are
checked at compile-time (which does not necessarily imply that useful
type information can be made available to an IDE), whereas in a
dynamically typed language, some or all type checking is deferred to
run-time.

The description that "the set of acceptable types for an argument is
determined by the operations which the function performs on it" sounds
to me more like type inference, as exemplified by Haskell, which is
nonetheless a statically typed language.