Is it bad style to override the built-in function `type`?

Graham Fielding frednotbob at hotmail.ca
Sat Nov 24 21:31:13 EST 2012

(This comes from my experience writing interactive fiction with the TADS workbench; YMMV) As a rule, it's generally unwise to modify built-in variables without thoroughly documenting your changes.  Your modifications might not hold up if the built-in definitions are revised (which would break your program) and you could introduce later version/compatibility issues with other things that use/need the 'standard' definitions. That said, if done cautiously, modifying the built-ins can have a net benefit; just be careful to indicate what you've changed so you can debug it properly, and -- if possible -- distribute yoru modified code along with a copy of the original, so that if issues arise, your users can restore the stable code without digging around in the guts of the software.