10 sec poll - please reply!

Michael Herrmann michael.herrmann at getautoma.com
Sat Nov 24 15:56:12 EST 2012

Hi Steven,

press('s') is allowed. So is press('S') - it presses shift for you and is thus equivalent to press(SHIFT + 's'). You can write press('f', 's'). You cannot write press('fs') because that's what enter(...) is for. If you try - or, as I would deem more likely, happen do to it by mistake - you get the following warning:
	>>> press('fs')
	ValueError: 'press' generates single keystrokes and is not intended to be used for typing in long plain-text strings. Did you maybe mean one of the following?
	 * enter("fs")
	 * click("fs")
	 * press('f', 's')
I'm not aware of CTRL + i having a connection with TAB. You cannot use it to get a tab. We haven't decided on what to do when you press('\t'). If you want three tabs, you can write
	press(TAB, TAB, TAB)
If you want a tab, a letter and a newline, you can do
enter("""\tA
\tB
\tC
""")
The reasoning is that you are entering plain text, that is a string that you would like to appear in the window you are typing into in the same way as you are supplying it to `enter`.

If you want to type "Hello World!" without entering it, you call
	enter("Hello World!")
Yes, I did write "call *enter* to do X *without entering*". You are hinting at a valid ambiguity with `enter` that Chris already pointed out. I don't think it's worse than the ambiguity of
	>>> type("Hello World!")
	<type 'str'>

We would need a new function for holding down keys to release them later. You are again pointing out an imho valid ambiguity. However, you were just happily using `press` with the understanding that it presses and releases keys, so I hope this one isn't too bad.

As I said, I opened a new thread solely for overriding `type` in the context of a GUI automation library: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.lang.python/GjZ2hAS1Wyk. So far, 4/4 people there advised against it. If only Python hadn't defined `type`...

Michael