Inconsistent behaviour os str.find/str.index when providing optional parameters

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:49:52 EST 2012

<snipping occurs>

On 21 November 2012 20:58, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> On 2012-11-21 19:25, Hans Mulder wrote:

>>>  why would you be searching for an empty string?
>>> what result would you expect to get from such a search?
>>>

>> In general, if
>>
>>      needle in haystack[ start: ]
>>
>> return True, then you' expect
>>
>>      haystack.find(needle, start)
>>
>> to return the smallest i >= start such that
>>
>>      haystack[i:i+len(needle)] == needle
>>
>> also returns True.
>>
>> The only other consistent position would be that "spam"[5:]
>> should raise an IndexError, because 5 is an invalid index.
>

>  You'd expect that given:
>
>     found = string.find(something, start, end)
>
> if 'something' present then the following are true:
>
>     0 <= found <= len(string)
>
>     start <= found <= end

I don't think I agree.

I think *only* the second holds, but start "defaults" to 0 and end to
len(string), which is consistent with Han's method and thus conclusion.

Of course this is merely opinion and practicality beats purity, but it
seems logical, considering the slicing synonym.

Even if functionally this remains unchanged, the docstring should be edited
to reflect this oddity.

(I'm assuming here that 'start' and 'end' have already been adjusted