10 sec poll - please reply!

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Nov 20 20:20:15 EST 2012

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:08:24 +0000, Prasad, Ramit wrote:

>> I believe that your initial instinct for the name of this function was
>> correct. It automates typing, so you should call it "type" or (for
>> those paranoid about shadowing the built-in, "type_str".
>>

> I can too easily see somebody doing from module import * OR from module
> import type.

Yes. So what? If they do, then either they intended to do it, or they
will soon learn not to.

*Accidental* shadowing of names is a bad thing, because you get
unexpected bugs. *Deliberate* shadowing is not. We're all consenting
adults here, if somebody calls "from module import type", and shadows the
builtin type, that's their right to shoot themselves in the foot. Or not,
as the case may be.

--
Steven