Yet another Python textbook

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 12:11:58 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Pavel Solin <solin.pavel at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is an ongoing discussion but we are not sure.
> Are there any reasons except for the print () command
> and division of integers?

The big one is that Python 3 holds the future of Python development.
There are no more feature releases planned for the 2.x series, only
maintenance releases.  Eventually, Python 2.7 is going to start
looking pretty old.

You might look through the whatsnew documents at:

http://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/index.html

to get an idea of what features have been added in Python 3.  Many of
these have been backported to Python 2.6 or 2.7, possibly requiring a
__future__ import, but most have not.  One change that comes to my
mind that might be of interest for NCLab is that in Python 3.3, the
decimal module has been rewritten in C for a major speed-up.