10 sec poll - please reply!

Michael Herrmann michael.herrmann at getautoma.com
Tue Nov 20 07:18:38 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm developing a GUI Automation library (http://www.getautoma.com) and am having difficulty picking a name for the function that simulates key strokes. I currently have it as 'type' but that clashes with the built-in function. Example uses of 'type':

type(ENTER)

type("Hello World!")

type(CTRL + 'a')

What, in your view, would be the most intuitive alternative name?

Here are my thoughts so far: I could call it 'press' but then our GUI automation tool also allows you to click things and then "press" might be mistaken for "pressing a button". A less ambiguous alternative is "type_keys" but that is rather long and doesn't read as well, for instance in type_keys(ENTER).

Thank you very much!