Linux compatibility

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 19 19:41:32 EST 2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:44:37 -0800 (PST), EDI Support
| <nicolettivma at gmail.com> declaimed the following in
| gmane.comp.python.general:
| > I would like know if Python  2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL 5.5 or 6.1?

It would help if you could qualify what you imagine "compatible with" to
mean...

On 19Nov2012 18:38, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
| 	Uhm...
| 1)	Python 2.4.x is practically an antique.  (I just updated my Windows
| machines to 2.7 from 2.5 -- and 2.7 will be the last 2.x version)

RHEL 5.x ships with python 2.4; a up to date RHEL 5.x box here has
2.4.3. I would not surprise me if that was what shipped with 5.0.

One feature if the RHEL distro is that it is _stable_. (See Dennis' point
(3)). They backport bugfixes and security fixes, but otherwise the base OS
doesn't change API. This produces reliable, predictable behaviour for
stuff you have deployed to such a platform.

The price for that is that pretty soon the versions of things supplied
are quite dated.

Anyway, qualify what "compatible" is supposed to mean for you.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

in rec.moto, jsh wrote:
> Dan Nitschke wrote:
> > Ged Martin wrote:
> > > On Sat, 17 May 1997 16:53:33 +0000, Dan Nitschke scribbled:
> > > Yeah, yeah, that's what you're saying in _public_....
> > Feh. You know nothing of my dreams. I dream entirely in text (New Century
> > Schoolbook bold oblique 14 point), and never in color. I once dreamed I
> > was walking down a flowchart of my own code, and a waterfall of semicolons
> > was chasing me. (I hid behind a global variable until they went by.)
> You write code in a proportional serif? No wonder you got extra
> semicolons falling all over the place.
No, I *dream* about writing code in a proportional serif font.
It's much more exciting than my real life.
/* dan: THE Anti-Ged -- Ignorant Yank (tm) #1, none-%er #7 */
Dan Nitschke  peDANtic at best.com  nitschke at redbrick.com