Python Interview Questions

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Mon Nov 19 18:57:43 EST 2012

Roy Smith wrote:

> OK, I've just read back over the whole thread.  I'm really struggling to
> understand what point you're trying to make.  I started out by saying:
>
> > Use a list when you need an ordered collection which is mutable (i.e.
> > can be altered after being created).  Use a tuple when you need an
> > immutable list (such as for a dictionary key).
>
> To which you obviously objected.  So now you write:
>
> > I think a tuple is an immutable sequence of items, and a list is a
> > mutable sequence of items.
>
> So how is that different from what I said?  Is this whole argument
> boiling down to your use of "immutable sequence" vs. my use of
> "immutable list"?

'''
Roy:
> Use a list when you need an ordered collection which is mutable (i.e.
> can be altered after being created).  Use a tuple when you need an
> immutable list (such as for a dictionary key).
Steven:
I keep hearing about this last one, but I wonder... who *actually* does
this? I've created many, many lists over the years -- lists of names,
lists of phone numbers, lists of directory search paths, all sorts of
things. I've never needed to use one as a dictionary key.
'''

To me this is more of a question than an argument. Now moving
on to your specific example.

'''
def extract_stack(lines):
    "in traceback_helper module "
    header = lines[0]
    stack = []
    for line in lines:
        m = frame_pattern.match(line)
        if not m:
            continue
        frame = (m.group('path'), m.group('function'))
        stack.append(frame)
    # [Convert to tuple and return after finished building stack.]
    return (header, stack)
[...]
def main(args):
    crashes = {}
    [...]
    for line in open(log_file):
        if does_not_look_like_a_stack_dump(line):
             continue
        lines = traceback_helper.unfold(line)
        header, stack = traceback_helper.extract_stack(lines)
        signature = tuple(stack)
        if signature in crashes:
            count, header = crashes[signature]
            crashes[signature] = (count + 1, header)
        else:

            crashes[signature] = (1, header)
'''

Seems to me that Steven is suggesting that stack (after being built)
should converted to a tuple before being returned, because a "stack"
for any unique exception should be unique and immutable. You do this
anyway; you just do it before putting it into a dictionary rather
than before returning it.

Same net effect (as long as you do not modify `stack` later), so no
real argument.

~Ramit