Python questions help

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:35:01 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
> On 2012-11-16, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 5:00 AM, rh
>> <richard_hubbe11 at lavabit.com> wrote:
>>> "How many people think programming skills are inherent?" i.e.
>>> that some people are just born with the gift to be good
>>> programmers Result: very few hands raised maybe a couple
>>> (possibly non-progammers??)
>>
>> Maybe, but there's definitely something that happens close to
>> birth. If your parents give you the name Chris, you're more
>> likely to become a geek and a programmer.
>
> There are people with rare talent who can program in a way that
> most others can't, .e.g, Chris Sawyer. But, as Louis Moyse, a
> great musician remarked: "Without hard work, talent means
> nothing."

Sure, it definitely takes work. You still have to put in your ten
thousand hours. I don't know what the connection is, but there do seem
to be a LOT of geeky Chrises; in fact, in any mid-length thread here
on python-list, you could probably conclude with a "Thanks for the
tip, Chris, it works now!" without even bothering to read it.

ChrisA