Python Script for Colorizing Traceroute Output (apologies for top-post)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 20:27:02 EST 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:00:10 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> [...]
>> I've never used the program, though, so I have no idea how good it is.
>> All I've done is download the tar.gz and glance over a few bits (the
>> licence, mainly - which is mostly-GPL).
>
> "Mostly" GPL? You mean "not GPL".
>
> I really wish people wouldn't invent their own licences. It adds
> complexity and confusion to the licencing space. Unless you're a lawyer,
> and sometimes even if you are a lawyer, any modification you make to an
> established licence could be invalid, or possibly even invalidate the
> entire licence.
>
> Licence proliferation hurts us all. Just say No.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_proliferation

The wording in the file does permit you to use it under the exact
terms of the GPL (though no version is specified). But I agree, we
should stick to a handful of well-known licenses and be done with it.
I like the BSD two-clause, myself, less wordy than the GPL.

ChrisA