Python Script for Colorizing Traceroute Output (apologies for top-post)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:00:10 EST 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Jordan Bylsma <jordan.bylsma1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> For this case the firewalls DO respond to TTL(in most cases) and will show in a traceroute. The objective here is to colorize particular devices to easily see what type of devices traffic would traverse across the network. I would be using a database of device hostnames that when they match in traceroute they would be printed a particular color. Something like router=green, layer 3 switch yellow, and firewall red. I'm just looking for a basic script to accomplish this. Nothing too fancy.

Sounds like the previously-mentioned Generic Colo(u)?ri(s|z)er (and
yes, its README says exactly that) could do that for you. You'd need
to craft a regexp to identify each hostname set, rather than using a
database, but it shouldn't be difficult to write a script to create
grc's config file.

I've never used the program, though, so I have no idea how good it is.
All I've done is download the tar.gz and glance over a few bits (the
licence, mainly - which is mostly-GPL).

By the way, you may wish to consider identifying your devices by IP
address rather than hostname. If your IPs are stable and readable, you
could save yourself the delays of reverse DNS lookups by simply
colorizing the IPs.

ChrisA