latin1 and cp1252 inconsistent?

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Fri Nov 16 19:05:32 EST 2012

On 11/16/2012 06:27 PM, buck at yelp.com wrote:
> (doublespaced nonsense deleted.  GoogleGropups strikes again.)
> This creates a non-reversible encoding, and loss of data, which isn't
> acceptable for my application.

So tell us more about your application.  If you have data which is
invalid, and you encode it to some other form, you have to expect that
it won't be reversible.  But maybe your data isn't really characters at
all, and you're just trying to manipulate bytes?

Without a use case, we really can't guess.  The fact that you are
waffling between latin1 and 1252 indicates this isn't really character data.

Also, while you're at it, please specify the Python version and OS
you're on.  You haven't given us any code to guess it from.

--

DaveA