error importing smtplib

Eric Frederich eric.frederich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 14:37:26 EST 2012

So I inspected the process through /proc/<pid>/maps
That seemed to show what libraries had been loaded (though there is
probably an easier way to do this).

In any case, I found that if I import smtplib before logging in I see these
get loaded...

    /opt/foo/python27/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_ssl.so
    /lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8e

Then after logging in, I see this other .so get loaded...

    /opt/bar/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.7

So that is what happens when when things are well and I don't get any error
messages.
However, when I do the log in first I see the /opt/bar .so file loaded first

    /opt/bar/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.7

Then after importing smtplib I see the other two show up...

    /opt/foo/python27/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_ssl.so
    /lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8e

So.... I'm guessing the problem is that after I log in, the process has a
conflicting libssl.so file loaded.
Then when I try to import smtplib it tries getting things from there and
that is where the errors are coming from.

The question now is how do I fix this?