Subprocess puzzle and two questions

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Nov 14 20:49:19 EST 2012

In article <mailman.3700.1352930072.27098.python-list at python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm slightly surprised that there's no way with the Python stdlib to
> point a DNS query at a specific server

Me too, including the "only slightly" part.  The normal high-level C
resolver routines (getaddrinfo/getnameinfo, or even the old
gethostbyname series), don't expose any way to do that.  You have to dig
quite far down in the resolver library stack to get to the point where
you can do that.  The concept of not knowing or caring which specific
server has the data you need is quite deeply baked into the basic DNS
architecture.