creating size-limited tar files

andrea crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 11:16:16 EST 2012

2012/11/14 Dave Angel <d at davea.name>:
> On 11/14/2012 10:56 AM, andrea crotti wrote:
>> Ok this is all very nice, but:
>>
>> [andrea at andreacrotti tar_baller]$ time python2 test_pipe.py > /dev/null
>>
>> real  0m21.215s
>> user  0m0.750s
>> sys   0m1.703s
>>
>> [andrea at andreacrotti tar_baller]$ time ls -lR /home/andrea | cat > /dev/null
>>
>> real  0m0.986s
>> user  0m0.413s
>> sys   0m0.600s
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> So apparently it's way slower than using this system, is this normal?
>
> I'm not sure how this timing relates to the thread, but what it mainly
> shows is that starting up the Python interpreter takes quite a while,
> compared to not starting it up.
>

> --
>
> DaveA

Well it's related because my program has to be as fast as possible, so
in theory I thought that using Python pipes would be better because I
can get easily the PID of the first process.

But if it's so slow than it's not worth, and I don't think is the
Python interpreter because it's more or less constantly many times
slower even changing the size of the input..