Generate unique ID for URL

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Nov 13 20:39:04 EST 2012

In article <0692e6a2-343c-4eb0-be57-fe5c815efb99 at googlegroups.com>,
 Richard <richardbp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to create a URL-safe unique ID for URL's.
> Currently I use:
> url_id = base64.urlsafe_b64encode(url)

> 'ZG9jcy5weXRob24ub3JnL2xpYnJhcnkvdXVpZC5odG1s'
>
> I would prefer more concise ID's.
> What do you recommend? - Compression?

If you're generating random id strings, there's only two ways to make
them shorter.  Either encode fewer bits of information, or encode them
more compactly.

Let's start with the second one.  You're already using base64, so you're
getting 6 bits per character.  You can do a little better than that, but
not much.  The set of URL-safe characters is the 96-ish printable ascii
set, minus a few pieces of punctuation.  Maybe you could get it up to
6.3 or 6.4 bits per character, but that's about it.  For the complexity
this would add it's probably not worth it.

The next step is to reduce the number of bits you are encoding.  You
said in another post that "1 collision in 10 million hashes would be
tolerable".  So you need:

>>> math.log(10*1000*1000, 2)
23.25349666421154

24 bits worth of key.  Base64 encoded, that's only 4 characters.
Actually, I probably just proved that I don't really understand how
probabilities work, so maybe what you really need is 32 or 48 or 64
bits.  Certainly not the 264 bits you're encoding with your example
above.

So, something like:

hash = md5.md5('docs.python.org/library/uuid.html').digest()
hash64 = base64.urlsafe_b64encode(hash)
id = hash64[:8]  # or 12, or whatever

But, I still don't really understand your use case.  You've already
mentioned the following requirements:

"just be used internally for quick lookups, not exposed publicly"
"URL-safe"
"unique"
"1 collision in 10 million hashes would be tolerable"
"one way encoding would be fine"
"performed millions of times so ideally efficient"

but haven't really explained what it is that you're trying to do.

If they're not going to be exposed publicly, why do you care if they're
URL-safe?

What's wrong with just using the URLs directly as dictionary keys and
not worrying about it until you've got some hard data showing that this
is not sufficient?