A gnarly little python loop

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 02:09:31 EST 2012

On Nov 11, 3:58 am, Roy Smith <r... at panix.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to pull down tweets with one of the many twitter APIs.  The
> particular one I'm using (python-twitter), has a call:
>
> data = api.GetSearch(term="foo", page=page)
>
> The way it works, you start with page=1.  It returns a list of tweets.
> If the list is empty, there are no more tweets.  If the list is not
> empty, you can try to get more tweets by asking for page=2, page=3, etc.
> I've got:
>
>     page = 1
>     while 1:
>         r = api.GetSearch(term="foo", page=page)
>         if not r:
>             break
>         for tweet in r:
>             process(tweet)
>         page += 1
>
> It works, but it seems excessively fidgety.  Is there some cleaner way
> to refactor this?

This is a classic problem -- structure clash of parallel loops -- nd
Steve Howell has given the classic solution using the fact that
generators in python simulate/implement lazy lists.
As David Beazley http://www.dabeaz.com/coroutines/ explains,
coroutines are more general than generators and you can use those if
you prefer.

The classic problem used to be stated like this:
There is an input in cards of 80 columns.
It needs to be copied onto printer of 132 columns.

The structure clash arises because after reading 80 chars a new card
has to be read; after printing 132 chars a linefeed has to be given.

To pythonize the problem, lets replace the 80,132 by 3,4, ie take the
char-square
abc
def
ghi

and produce
abcd
efgh

The important difference (explained nicely by Beazley) is that in
generators the for-loop pulls the generators, in coroutines, the
'generator' pushes the consuming coroutines.

---------------
from __future__ import print_function
s= ["abc", "def", "ghi"]

# Coroutine-infrastructure from pep 342