Want to add dictionary keys to namespace?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sat Nov 10 04:19:00 EST 2012

Jeff Jeffries wrote:

> Smart people, Is there a way I can add a dictionaries keys to the python
> namespace? It would just be temporary as I am working with a large
> dictionary, and it would speed up work using an IDE.  I look and find
> nothing... none of the keys have spaces and none are common names within
> the module.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2597278/python-load-variables-in-a-
dict-into-namespace

> I do this:
>
> #Do this?
> dictionary = {"AppleSeed": None, "Has": None,"Horrible" :None,"Art"}
> for key in dictionary.keys():
>      eval("%s=None"%key)
>
> #or do this?
> locals().update(dictionary)
>
> Any ideas?

You could instead use a dict subclass that lets you access values as
attributes:

>>> class Dict(dict):
...     def __getattr__(self, name):
...             return self[name]
...     def __setattr__(self, name, value):
...             self[name] = value
>>> d = Dict({"AppleSeed": None, "Has": None, "Horrible" : None, "Art": 42})
>>> d.Art
42
>>> d.AppleSeed
>>> d.AppleSeed = "spam"
>>> d
{'Has': None, 'Art': 42, 'AppleSeed': 'spam', 'Horrible': None}