Right solution to unicode error?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:07:15 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Prasad, Ramit <ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com> wrote:
> Why would font not matter? Unicode is the abstract definition
> of all characters right? From that we map the abstract
> character to a code page/set, which gives real values for an
> abstract character. From that code page we then visually display
> the "real value" based on the font. If that font does
> not have a glyph for a specific character page (or a different
> glyph) then that is a problem and not related encoding.

Usually though when the font is missing a glyph for a Unicode
character, you just get a missing glyph symbol, such as an empty
rectangle.  For some reason when using the default font, cmd seemingly
ignores the active code page, skips decoding the characters, and tries
to print the individual bytes as if using code page 437.