int.__init__ incompatible in Python 3.3

Ulrich Eckhardt ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com
Thu Nov 8 10:55:16 EST 2012

Hi!

Preparing for an upgrade from 2.7 to 3, I stumbled across an
incompatibility between 2.7 and 3.2 on one hand and 3.3 on the other:

class X(int):
     def __init__(self, value):
         super(X, self).__init__(value)
X(42)

On 2.7 and 3.2, the above code works. On 3.3, it gives me a "TypeError:
object.__init__() takes no parameters". To some extent, this makes sense
to me, because the int subobject is not initialized in __init__ but in
__new__. As a workaround, I can simple drop the parameter from the call.
However, breaking backward compatibility is another issue, so I wonder
if that should be considered as a bug.

Bug? Feature? Other suggestions?

Uli