Right solution to unicode error?

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 19:44:26 EST 2012

On 7 November 2012 23:51, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012.11.07 17:27, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
>> Are you using cmd.exe (standard Windows terminal)? If so, it does not
>> support unicode
> Actually, it does. Code page 65001 is UTF-8. I know that doesn't help
> the OP since Python versions below 3.3 don't support cp65001, but I
> think it's important to point out that the Windows command line system
> (it is not unique to cmd) does in fact support Unicode.

I have tried to use code page 65001 and it didn't work for me even if
I did use a version of Python (possibly 3.3 alpha) that claimed to
support it. It turned out that there were other Windows related
problems with using the codepage so that I had to do something like

chcp 65001 && python myscript.py && chcp 2521

(It was important for all those commands to be on the same line) I'm
not on Windows right now and I can't remember all the details but I
seem to remember that even with that awkwardness and changing the font
it still didn't actually work.

If you know how to make it work, I'd be interested to know.

Oscar