Multi-dimensional list initialization

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 7 19:00:50 EST 2012

Andrew, it appears that your posts are being eaten or rejected by my
ISP's news server, because they aren't showing up for me. Possibly a side-
effect of your dates being in the distant past? So if you have replied to
any of my posts, I haven't seen them.

In any case, I wanted to ask a question:

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:01:19 -0700, Ian Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Andrew Robinson
> <andrew3 at r3dsolutions.com> wrote:

[...]

>> But, in any event:
>> Pass by value (not call by value) is a term stretching back 30 years;
>> eg: when I learned the meaning of the words.  Rewording it as "Call by
>> value" is something that happened later, and the nuance is lost on
>> those without a very wide programming knowledge *and* age.

Every now and again I come across somebody who tries to distinguish
between "call by foo" and "pass by foo", but nobody has been able to
explain the difference (if any) to me. When you CALL a function, you PASS
values to it. Hence the two terms are effectively synonyms, and both
refer to the evaluation strategy when binding arguments to parameters.

If you believe that is incorrect, can you point me to something
explaining the difference?

--
Steven