Obnoxious postings from Google Groups

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Tue Nov 6 12:16:44 EST 2012

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 14:47:47 -0500, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

[snip]

> Nevertheless, I do tend to prefer underscores to spaces, simply because I
> often use naive tools that treat spaces as separators. That is, command
> line shells.

I visually prefer spaces but it is easier to work with underscores.
Thankfully there are plenty of command line utilities for pattern
renaming that let me shift to and from spaces as necessary.

> For what it's worth, you can enter any control character in Unix/Linux
> systems with readline in bash using the C-q key combination. Newline
> needs a bit of special treatment: you need to wrap the name in single
> quotes to stop the newline from being interpreted as the end of the
> command.
>
> [steve at ando temp]$ touch 'foo
> bar'
>
> To enter the newline, I typed Ctrl-Q to tell bash to treat the next
> character as a literal, and then typed Ctrl-J to get a newline.

That sounds complicated, my version of bash lets me type
'foo<enter>bar'<enter> for the same effect.

~Ramit