Obnoxious postings from Google Groups

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 14:41:24 EST 2012

On 11/04/2012 04:13 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> / rurpy at yahoo.com wrote on Fri  2.Nov'12 at 11:39:10 -0700 /
>
>> (I also hope I haven't just been suckered by a troll attempt,
>> windows/unix is better then unix/windows being an age-old means of
>> trolling.)
>
> No, i'm not a "troll". I was just adding my opinion to the thread, I
> assumed that was allowed. I didn't say UNIX is better than Windows,
> did I; I just feel that Windows is not -- for me anyway -- the most
> suitable plaform for learning about the science of computing and
> coding, etc... being a computer science student that's the view i
> have and share with those I learn with and from. Why must people be
> accused of trolling everytime they make a statement that conveys a
> preference over one platform or language, for example, than the
> other. Provoking someone by labeling them a troll or implying they
> might be is a bit childish really.

I deliberately worded my response to avoid calling you a
troll but rather just suggested the possibility so a denial
without all the indignation would be more appropriate.
(And FWIW I agree that "troll" is often used here synonymously
with "I disagree with you" but that is not how I used it.)

You should realize that a good way to start an endless argument
and one that has a long history of being used by trolls is to
assert that OS/language/whatever is "better" than some other
one in an environment where there are also lots of users of the
other one.  Substituting "serious" or any other value-laden,
unsubstantiatable word for "better" is just a insignificant
variation.