Obnoxious postings from Google Groups

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Nov 5 09:59:13 EST 2012

On 2012-11-05, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.3269.1352097585.27098.python-list at python.org>,
>  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's nothing to do with operating system. File names are names, and
>> spaces in them are seldom worth the hassle unless you manipulate those
>> files solely using a GUI.
>
> That's a very ascii-esqe attitude.  In a fully unicode world, I could
> easily see using U+00A0 (NO-BREAK SPACE) in file names, and still have
> space-delimited CLI work just fine.

No, it wouldn't work just fine.  You'd never know when looking at
names whether it was a "regular" space or a "no-break space", and
names would be visually ambiguous.  Visually ambiguous names are
horrible.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Boys, you have ALL
                                  at               been selected to LEAVE th'