Proper place for everything

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Nov 2 17:57:31 EDT 2012

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 04:20:20 -0700, Jason Benjamin wrote:

> Anybody know of the appropriate place to troll and flame about various
> Python related issues?  I'm kind of mad about some Python stuff and I
> need a place to vent where people may or may not listen, but at at least
> respond.  Thought this would be a strange question, but I might as well
> start somewhere.

Thank you for your honesty, but trolling is not welcome.

However if you have actual issues about Python, either pro or con, and
hope to have a serious, respectful dialog where both parties listen to
each other, feel free to raise them here. Keep in mind three things:

- We've probably heard all your arguments a thousand times before. It's
  unlikely that you are either the first or the last person to notice
  that (e.g.) Python has significant indentation. So expect a certain
  amount of brusqueness.

- If your argument boils down to "Python isn't <insert language here>"
  we will not be sympathetic, and will probably sneer or laugh at you
  privately. And possibly publicly too.

- If you hope to convince the Python community to change <feature X>,
  we are constrained by backwards-compatibility issues, policies, and
  design decisions. Frequently there are (mis-)features that we simply
  have to live with, for good or ill.

--
Steven