Memory profiling: Python 3.2

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Nov 2 17:47:43 EDT 2012

Andrew Robinson <andrew3 <at> r3dsolutions.com> writes:

> When Python3.2 is running, is there an easy way within Python to capture
> the *total* amount of heap space the program is actually using  (eg:real
> memory)?

I'm not sure what you mean with "real memory" or how precise you want that
measurement to be, but you could try http://www.selenic.com/smem/
(and, within Python, re-use smem's concepts, which shouldn't be too difficult)

> And how much of that heap space is allocated to variables (
> including re-capturable data not yet GC'd ) ?

Again, not sure what you mean with "allocated to variables" (global variables?
local variables? everything?). As for "re-capturable data not yet GC'd", the
best way to figure out is to run gc.collect() :-)

Regards

Antoine.