Obnoxious postings from Google Groups

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:42:14 EDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie at kode5.net> wrote:
> / rurpy at yahoo.com wrote on Thu  1.Nov'12 at 15:08:26 -0700 /
>
>> On 11/01/2012 03:55 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
>> > Anybody serious about programming should be using a form of
>> > UNIX/Linux if you ask me. It's inconceivable that these systems
>> > should be avoided if you're serious about Software Engineering and
>> > Computer Science, etc. For UNIX there are loads of decent news
>> > reading software and mail user agents to learn and use. slrn is a
>> > good one and point it at gmane.org as someone else pointed out. I
>> > can't even imagine using a browser or Google Groups, etc. now.
>
>> Are you saying that this group is only for "serious" programmers?
>
> I don't see where my comments suggested that this group is only for serious programmers. I simply believe that the UNIX platform, in whatever form, is better placed and designed for all sorts of computing and engineering projects. The history of UNIX speaks for itself. Many Universities that offer respected and credible science based degree programmes, namely engineering and computing programmes, strongly encourage students to become competent with UNIX systems. Windows in my opinion is really for those who use the internet on a casual basis or in a commercial environment where its staff are not necessarily computer literate and therefore need a platform that they can use which doesn't require them to learn more complex techniques and protocols. But, having said that, I'm not against Windows at all. I use it frequently and enjoy using it most of the time.

I am comfortable with both Windows and Unix systems, and I do not find
that either environment is particularly more effective for software
engineering or helps me to be more productive than the other.  My job
has me developing Windows software, so I use Windows at work since at
the very least I require it for testing and debugging.  I could use
virtualization to run Unix as well, and I have known some who do, but
my philosophy is: why waste time dealing with two distinct
environments where only one is required?

Cheers,
Ian