Organisation of python classes and their methods

Martin Hewitson martinhewitson at mac.com
Fri Nov 2 04:45:43 EDT 2012

On 2, Nov, 2012, at 09:40 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/11/2012 08:08, Martin Hewitson wrote:
>>
>> Even if one takes reasonable numbers: 20 methods, each method has 20 lines of documentation, then we immediately have 400 lines in the file before writing a line of code. It would seem much more natural to me to have these methods in their own file, grouped nicely in sub-directories. But it seems this is not the python way. Sigh.
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts,
>>
>> Martin
>>

> 20 lines of documentation per method?  As far as I'm concerned that's not a smell, that's a stink.

Wow, I don't think I've ever been criticised before for writing too much documentation :)

I guess we have different end users. This is not a set of classes for other developers to use: it's a set of classes which creates a data analysis environment for scientists to use. They are not programmers, and expect the algorithms to be documented in detail.

Martin