Obnoxious postings from Google Groups

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:32:08 EDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 03:55 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
>> Anybody serious about programming should be using a form of
>> UNIX/Linux if you ask me. It's inconceivable that these systems
>> should be avoided if you're serious about Software Engineering and
>> Computer Science, etc. For UNIX there are loads of decent news
>> reading software and mail user agents to learn and use. slrn is a
>> good one and point it at gmane.org as someone else pointed out. I
>> can't even imagine using a browser or Google Groups, etc. now.
>
> Are you saying that this group is only for "serious" programmers?

It's not; also, so long as Python maintains an official Windows build,
this list/group will be fielding questions about Windows. But there's
still good reason to grab a Linux.

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#idp29970256

> "serious" is also a matter of opinion.  I have some serious
> programmer friends who maintain, in complete sincerity, that
> serious programmers should not waste time on slow, script-kiddie
> languages like Python, but should be developing their skills
> with serious professional languages like Java, C#, etc.

And there are probably still a few around who maintain that Java, C#,
and even C are too modern, and that serious programmers use FORTRAN or
COBOL. Or assembly language. Let 'em. Meanwhile I'll have demonstrable
code done while they're still fiddling around with details, because my
languages (including, though by no means limited to, Python) do most
of the work for me.

ChrisA