2to3 inscrutable output

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon May 28 20:07:22 EDT 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:18:29 -0700, rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:

> What is this output from 2to3 supposed to mean?
>   $ cat mysub.py
>   isinstance (3, (int,float))
>   $ 2to3 -f isinstance mysub.py
>   RefactoringTool: No changes to mysub.py
>   RefactoringTool: Files that need to be modified:
>   RefactoringTool: mysub.py
>
> Why does mysub.py need to be modified, and how?

Bleh. Who came up with this user interface?

I call confusing output like this a UI bug. But after playing around with
various small files, it *seems* to me that the "Files that need to be
modified" actually means "Files that include something that a fixer cares
about, whether or not it gets modified" (in this case, isinstance).

--
Steven