Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform?

TheSeeker duane.kaufman at gmail.com
Sat May 26 12:44:25 EDT 2012

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:34:19 AM UTC-5, Roy Smith wrote:
> What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
> Python on today?  I'm looking for something to use as a hardware
> controller in a battery-powered device and want to avoid writing in C
> for this project.
>
> Performance requirements are minimal.  I need to monitor a few switches,
> control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
> minute period to 1/10th second accuracy.  Nice-to-have (but not
> essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
> words.

You might take a look at the work being done by Dean Hall (with others) on the python-on-a-chip project:
http://code.google.com/p/python-on-a-chip/

Many platforms have been ported to, including Arduino Mega, RedBee EconoTAG, Teensy++ 2.0, Microchip PIC24/dsPIC, among others

This route may be more work than others, but considering budget may be attractive.