usenet reading

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat May 26 11:43:38 EDT 2012

In article <Vi6wr.735287$2R.344847 at fx19.am4>,
 duncan smith <buzzard at urubu.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating - not
> > only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the posts are
> > somewhat random of what appears, is posted and whatnot. (Ironically posted
> > from GG)
> >
> > Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?
>
> If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
> providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
> much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
> few pounds a year.)
>
> Duncan

I use panix.com.  For $100/year, I get mail, news, and unix shell
access.  By some measures, it's an expensive way to get mail access, but
I'd much rather give Panix $100 than take advantage of any of the free
mail services who does who-knows-what with my mail.  Not to mention that
I get access to such private newsgroups as panix.nytel.abuse.