installing 2 and 3 alongside on MS Windows

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Sat May 26 05:14:17 EDT 2012

On 25-5-2012 10:24, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> Hi!

> What I'm considering is installing Python 3 alongside, in order to
> prepare the code for this newer version. What I'd like to know first is
> whether there are any problems I'm likely to encounter and possible
> workarounds.

What I'm doing myself on Windows is deciding which version of Python I want to be the
default, and install that from the msi normally (including "register extensions"
options). I then proceed to add its install location to my %PATH%.

After which I install additional Python versions but *without* selecting "register
extensions" otherwise they will overwrite the registry associations.

I have about 5 different versions coexisting peacefully in c:\python26 c:\python27
c:\python27-64, c:\python32 and c:\python33  (with python27 being the default and only
c:\python27 added to %PATH%)

In the IDE I'm using (PyCharm) you can trivially switch the Python version it will use
for your project.

> Thank you!
>
> Uli
>
> PS: Dear lazyweb, is there any way to teach VC8 some syntax highlighting
> for Python?

http://pytools.codeplex.com/  perhaps?

Irmen.