PEP 405 vs 370

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:45:23 EDT 2012

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405/

I don't get what PEP 405 (Python Virtual Environments) brings vs what we
already had in PEP 370 since Python 2.6.

Obviously 405 has a tool to create virtual environments, but that's
trivial for PEP 370 [1], and has support for isolation from the
system-wide site patch which could've been added in addition to PEP 370.

So maybe I'm missing something?

[1]
PYTHONUSERBASE=~/my-py-venv pip install --user Whatever
will create ~/my-py-venv and everything under it as needed

PYTHONUSERBASE=~/my-py-venv python setup.py install --user
the same without pip

--
damjan