Email Id Verification

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri May 25 00:02:33 EDT 2012

Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> writes:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
> > Why do you want to write buggy code that makes your users hate your
> > program? ...
> > The only way to validate an email address is to ACTUALLY SEND AN EMAIL TO
> > IT.
>
> Of course spamming people will make them hate you even more.

Use the email address without spamming, then.

The point is that, having collected the email address, it's useless
unless one actually uses it *as an email address*, by sending a message
to it. Before then, “validating” it tells you nothing.

> Insisting that people give you a valid email address (unless you have
> a demonstrably legitimate use for it) is a variant of that.

And matching it against a regex is going to either get it wrong
(rejecting many valid email addresses), or be useless (accepting just
about anything as “valid”).

The test which matters is to use the value as an email address, by
sending a message when the time comes to do that.

--
 \     “It's my belief we developed language because of our deep inner |
  `\                  need to complain.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily Tomlin |