virtualenv and jython on Ubuntu 12.04

Gelonida N gelonida at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:39:50 EDT 2012

Hi,

I wanted to do some first experiments with Jython (which should now be
able to run django apps)

Thus I wanted to create a virtualenv setup for jython

with following command:
virtualenv -p jython --no-site-packages ~/mypy

However this fails with following output:
> Running virtualenv with interpreter /usr/bin/jython
> The --no-site-packages flag is deprecated; it is now the default behavior.
> Cannot find file /usr/share/jython/cachedir (bad symlink)
> New jython executable in /home/gelonida/mypy/bin/jython
> ERROR: The executable /home/gelonida/mypy/bin/jython is not functioning
> ERROR: It thinks sys.prefix is u'/usr/share/jython' (should be u'/home/gelonida/mypy')
> ERROR: virtualenv is not compatible with this system or executable

The jython version is:
> jython -V
> Jython 2.5.1+

virtualenv version is

What would the best way to start with a clean jython setup?

Or can I avoid virtualenv and have other means of trying to install
Django for jython on Ubuntu 12.04?