serial module

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue May 22 18:00:22 EDT 2012

On 2012-05-22, Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
> John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:
>>    If a device is registered as /dev/ttyUSBnn, one would hope that
>> the Linux USB insertion event handler, which assigns that name,
>> determined that the device was a serial port emulator.  Unfortunately,
>> the USB standard device classes
>> (http://www.usb.org/developers/defined_class) don't have "serial port
>> emulator" as a standardized device.  So there's more variation in this
>> area than in keyboards, mice, or storage devices.
>
> Hmm, I've been using USB-to-serial adapters and so far they've worked
> just fine.  I plug the USB end of adapter into a Ubuntu box, see
> /dev/ttyUSB* appear, plug the serial end into the external serial
> device, and just use pyserial like with an actual serial port.  I didn't
> realize there were issues with this.

I've used probably a dozen different ones.  I've read about some
people having odd problems with them, but I've never seen any of the
those problems.  They've all "just worked" for me.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! He is the MELBA-BEING
                                  at               ... the ANGEL CAKE