Python and Tkinter by John E Grayson

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu May 17 05:53:40 EDT 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012 23:55:29 -0400, Mark R Rivet wrote:

> I have a copy of this book and was wondering how relevant the content is
> considering the publish date is 2000. Are people still using this
> information? Anyone have any experience with this book? I guess what I
> mean, is, any of the code in this book deprecated? or does it still
> contain information used today the same as then. I mean, I guess some
> things don't change right? For instance,  the derivative of x^2 is 2x
> now and in the 1800's.

A book written in 2000 will probably be targeting Python 1.5, which is
seriously outdated. Most of the code will probably still work, but it
will not be the "best" way to do things, and there will probably be a few
minor things which act differently.

If you already know Python, and just want to learn Tkinter, then using
such an old book is probably acceptable, in my opinion.

--
Steven