cPython, IronPython, Jython, and PyPy (Oh my!)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed May 16 21:13:00 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> A record is an interesting critter -- it is given life either from the user
> or from the disk-bound data;  its fields can then change, but those changes
> are not reflected on disk until .write_record() is called;  I do this
> because I am frequently moving data from one table to another, making
> changes to the old record contents before creating the new record with the
> changes -- since I do not call .write_record() on the old record those
> changes do not get backed up to disk.

I strongly recommend being more explicit about usage and when it gets
written and re-read, rather than relying on garbage collection.
Databasing should not be tied to a language's garbage collection.
Imagine you were to reimplement the equivalent logic in some other
language - could you describe it clearly? If so, then that's your
algorithm. If not, you have a problem.

ChrisA