Open Source: you're doing it wrong - the Pyjamas hijack

Pascal Chambon pythoniks at gmail.com
Tue May 15 06:39:01 EDT 2012

Hi,

cool down, people, if anything gave FOSS a bad reputation, that's well
the old pyjamas website (all broken, because "wheel must be reinvented
here"), and most of all the "terror management" that occurred on its
mailing list.
Previously I had always considered open-source as a benevolent state of
mind, until I got, there, the evidence that it could also be, for some
people, an irrational and harmful cult (did you know github were
freaking evildoers ?).

Blatantly the pyjs ownership  change turned out to be an awkward
operation (as reactions on that ML show it), but a fork could also have
very harmfully "split" pyjs-interested people, so all in all I don't
think there was a perfect solution - dictatorships never fall harmlessly.

The egos of some might have been hurt, the legal sense of others might
have been questioned, but believe me all this fuss is pitiful compared
to the real harm that was done numerous time to willing newcomers, on
pyjs' old ML, when they weren't aware about the heavy dogmas lying around.

A demo sample  (I quote it each time the suvject arises, sorry for
duplicates)
| Please get this absolutely clear in your head: that                  |
| you do not "understand" my reasoning is completely and utterly       |
| irrelevant.  i understand *your* reasoning; i'm the one making the   |
| decisions, that's my role to understand the pros and cons.  i make a |
| decision: that's the end of it.                                      |
| You present reasoning to me: i weight it up, against the other       |
| reasoning, and i make a decision.  you don't have to understand that |
| decision, you do not have to like that decision, you do not have to  |
| accept that decision.                                                |

Ling live pyjs,
++
PKL