Newby Python Programming Question

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:18:21 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Coyote <david at idlcoyote.com> wrote:
> I've been playing around with a couple of IDEs because I liked the one I used with IDL and I wanted to use something similar for Python. The IDLDE was an Eclipse variant, but I've tried installing Eclipse before for something else and I'm pretty sure I don't need *that* kind of headache on a Friday afternoon. Unless, of course, I need a good excuse to head over to the Rio for the margaritas. :-)

When it comes to IDEs, I've never really gone for any. My current
setup at work (which I convinced my boss to deploy to all our
developers, himself included) is all open-source: SciTE
(Scintilla-based Text Editor) with a few in-house configurations, a
good makefile, and m4 (plus git for source control). SciTE has syntax
highlighting for all the languages we use, and is set to save and
'make' on press of F7, and the makefile handles everything else.
There's a couple of in-house scripts such as a cache-control script
(looks through our HTML and PHP pages for references to .js files and
adds ?tag to them where tag comes from git) and a rapid deployment
handler, but the upshot is that I edit a file, hit F7, and everything
happens for me. That's about as good as any IDE would give, but
without the overhead of most IDEs.

ChrisA